On Becoming Briefly Infatuated While Married








The day after falling in love,
I became unmoored from everything familiar,
(this chair, that piece of curtain)
and floated off, as light as photons.

You stayed behind to guard our homestead,
to summarize the situation when
onlookers stopped to gawk.
"Nothing to see here, move along," you said
in your crossing guard's voice.
"It happens now and then, she's just that way."
The neighbors shuffled off, looking doubtful.

In my altered state, beset with hiccups and filled with poetry,
I had no need of food or a clean bathroom.
Eventually, days later, I regained corporeal form,
and, subject to the usual rules of gravity,
I fell to earth like Icarus: aflame
but not regretting my too-short flight.

Comments

  1. Tis better to have luft aloft than to never have luft at all.

    Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the way it goes sometimes and if your senses return to what is really important, there's no harm in it, is there? I've been in love hundreds of times, and you know.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Conversation With a Ghost

Market Day

You Only Get One Question (first published by Anchala Studios in 2018)